Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Comfort and Joy

I don't believe in God but I love Christmas.

I grew up a Jehovah's Witness and if they're known for anything besides waking you up from a nice Saturday afternoon nap it's the No Holidays thing. They justified it by pointing out, accurately I may add, each major Christian and civil Holiday's Pagan roots. It's why the War on Saturnalia and the outrage that you can't call the Solstice Tree by it's proper Christian name tickle me to no end. That said I love Christmas trees and lights and eggnog and watching A Charlie Brown Christmas. It's important to have traditions, and to mark the passage of time, even if only to remind yourself that all winters end.

It's also the first night of Hanukkah, getting closer to the Jewish part of my heritage is also something I want to do more of in the coming year. And I see no conflict in celebrating both. By next year I hope to have got enough in touch with my Jewish roots to feel guilty about this.

If nothing else, it'll keep the updates regular around here until New Year's. And I hope how ever you celebrate the season it's one that leaves you with a sense of peace and possibility for 2011.

No comments: