Via Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule.
1) Best Movie of 2010
I see so few movies in the theaters I almost shouldn't answer this but True Grit. Or better put "hands down favorite of 2010".
2) Second-favorite Roman Polanski Movie
3) Jason Statham or Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson
Both in a buddy cop flick scripted by Shane Black.
4) Favorite movie that could be classified as a genre hybrid
5) How important is foreknowledge of a film’s production history? Should it factor into one’s reaction to a film?
I love reading production histories but a film has to stand on its own. Histories can help clarify or reveal though.
6) William Powell & Myrna Loy or Cary Grant & Irene Dunne
Nick and Nora forever.
7) Best Actor of 2010
I will not pick between Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon in True Grit so you'll have to shoot for it boys.
8) Most important lesson learned from the past decade of watching movies
Good movies sometimes seem to have be made and released by accident than by any conscious design.
9) Last movie seen (DVD/Blu-ray/theater)
True Grit at the local multiplex with my pops, which added to the experience.
10) Most appropriate punishment for director Tom Six
I had to google his name so I'm going to continue to ignore him.
11) Best under-the-radar movie almost no one else has had the chance to see
It's from 1990 but more people need to know about John Boorman's Where The Heart Is, they really do.
12) Sheree North or Angie Dickinson
13) Favorite nakedly autobiographical movie
14) Movie which best evokes a specific real-life place
The French Connection
15) Best Director of 2010
The Cohen Brothers.
16) Second-favorite Farrelly Brothers Movie
17) Favorite holiday movie
18) Best Actress of 2010
19) Joe Don Baker or Bo Svenson
20) Of those notable figures in the world of the movies who died in 2010, name the one you’ll miss the most
21) Think of a movie with a notable musical score and describe what it might feel like without that accompaniment.
Goblin's score for Suspiria is its own character, so that picture would lose a lot of it's juice and become almost a pretty flip book of memorable sets. Here's just one cue:
22) Best Screenplay of 2010
True Grit, will most definitely be reading the book now.
23) Movie You Feel Most Evangelistic About Right Now
Sticking to amazing classics of trash cinema I'm always pushing The Apple or Exorcist II: The Heretic.
24) Worst/funniest movie accent ever
There are too many in the "Orish" division to pick from, so a fond laurel goes to Christan Bale's "Nu Yawk" squawk in Newsies.
25) Best Cinematography of 2010
26) Olivia Wilde or Gemma Arterton
Wilde, seeing her in Tron getup revealed a fetish I didn't know I had.
27) Name the three best movies you saw for the first time in 2010 (Thanks, Larry!)
How to Steal a Million
28) Best romantic movie couple of 2010
29) Favorite shock/surprise ending
Don't Look Now
30) Best cinematic reason to have stayed home and read a book in 2010
Nothing really pissed me off by it's existence, just made me tired at its lack of originality.
31) Movies in 2011 could make me much happier if they’d only _______________
...understand that 3-D is not an acceptable substitute for a good script.